POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Claude Mench
Date: 7 Dec 1999 07:38:13
Message: <384cffb5@news.povray.org>
>  And even when OpenGL is a standard, it's not part of the ANSI C++
standard.
>Adding support for it would make povray platform-dependant.

I think Mesa brings OpenGL to the few platform that do not already have it.

All my questions are related to what I saw from Twister. I think a
progressive
refinement display from openGL with texturing to radiosity after a while of
computation, would clearly be better than multiples tries at quality Q1
trough QR.
But all this is relevant only in an interactive environnement. I understand
clearly that my wishes have no utility if the renderer runs on a render
farm.

>  I have understood that using photon mapping for global illumination is
>pretty inefficient and that the current radiosity method (with the fixes
made
>in uvpov) is a lot more efficient.

    I understand cleary the opposite after reading much publications about
radiosity. Try http://graphics.lcs.mit.edu/~henrik/papers/ to read the
original
photon maps papers. Every monte-carlo radiosity, hierachical, or
hierarchical
with substructuring seems beatten by the photon map technique.

> With photon mapping lots of photons will be shot in vain; they will just
> end somewhere in the scene where they do not affect anything.

I'm not sure to understand you, in photon mapping photons are not
shoot anywhere, they are shot only in a direction of an object, never
in a direction where is nothing.

Thank's for your answer.