POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Claude Mench
Date: 6 Dec 1999 09:39:51
Message: <384bcab7@news.povray.org>
I'm know about POV since its creation, POV 0.5b,
and even DKB trace. The first ray tracing program I
ever used was DBW render. but since PovRay 3.1 was
out I stopped looking into it, mainly because I become
more interested in realtime rendering (OpenGl and clever
use of it to simulate reflection, and even radiosity).

   My question goes to the POV-Team in general, I would
like to know what kind of features have a chance to appear
in the next Major version of POV (4.0??). I know a 3.5
version is planned that will compile all unofficial
interesting patches (like the one with photon maps ).

   Precise question follows:

        - Will it exist an API allowing to use POVRay
          in a programmatically mode, for instance, POV
          could exist as a python module (like lightflow).
          It could be proprietary but it will be good to
          overcome some parts of the parser when used in
          conjunction with diverses pov front-end object
          generators or modelers.

        - Can we expect an preview mode using OpenGL (I'm
          aware that the tessalation of all objects existing
          in pov will be difficult, and infinity ojects also...)

        - Will the photon map be improved to perform optimised
          global illumination and shadows optimisation ?

        - Is there an official binary format of scene file
          planned ?

        - Extended particle system for simulating fur or grass?

    I was looking in Softimage Twister specifications and several
reviews from it, I finded this very innovative, I was so entousiastic
about it, that I dreamed to see a free rendering package going in the
same direction...

    I hope that a free package could be as ambitious as twister
(layer rendering, interactive renderer with object hierachy, etc).

    Nevertheless, and even if POV is not going that way, I would
like all the contributing people for such a fantastic initiative.

PS: My english is weak, sorry...