POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Fox Network uses povray??? : Re: Fox Network uses povray??? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fox Network uses povray???
From: Ken
Date: 9 Dec 1999 11:22:43
Message: <384FD727.432108E5@pcabell.net>
Steve Martin wrote:

> >   Pov could produce animations like that but they would look much better in
> > my opion :)
>
> That brings up a question I've wondered about lately. We have a guy
> where I work that just wangled himself a new SGI Octane with Maya, and
> has yet to even play with Maya to do any work for the TV station. I'd
> love to be able to generate some knock-your-socks-off stuff with POV
> to show him just how much money he wasted. However, I have no idea how
> to get a POV animation onto videotape with sufficient quality to demonstrate
> (which means, basically, no MPEG-1 compression).
>
> Is anyone using POV to do broadcast TV animation? If so, how are you
> getting NTSC video out of the computer? How are you doing full 60-field
> playback?

I know little on the subject but I suspect it will take a combination of
both hardware and software to do a good job of it. You can easily set up
POV-Ray to render the correct frame rate but what screen resolution to
use and how to get it out of the machine is not something I have worked
with. Interim storage space is an issue too. Let's say you use a screen
resolution of 640x480 at 60 frames per second output to .tga images.
That would be about 5.4 megs of images for each minute of video. As you
can see local storage space on your computer is going to be a serious
factor.