POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3dnoise docs : Re: 3dnoise docs Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3dnoise docs
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 9 Dec 1999 10:54:48
Message: <384FD0CB.5EBA203A@inapg.inra.fr>
If this can be of help (and this is from memory), if you use a simple
noise3d(A*x,B*y,C*z) function
(which is a very restrictive way to use it, because you can put anything
in noise3d(u,v,t))
then the larger A, B and C are the smaller the "bumps" are.
- noise3d(x,y,z) will give you bumps evenly spaced
- noise3d(0.1*x,y,z) will give you bumps scaled by a factor 10 on the x
axis

Multiplying the noise3d by a value will help control how much they affect
the general shape
10*noise3d(x,y,z) -> big effect
0.1*noise3d(x,y,z) -> small effect

Of course "big", "small" are all relative to the other parts of the
isosurface equation and may make no sense at all in many situations.

The best way to test noise3d effects is to make a simple isosurface
primitive (like a sphere or  a box) and then add the noise3d part to it.
//sphere :
isosurface{
        function{x*x+y*y+z*z + 0.1*noise3d(5*x,5*y,5*z)        }
        bounded_by {sphere {0,2}}
        eval            sign 1        threshold 1
        texture{pigment{Red}}
}
//box
isosurface{
        function{abs(x)&abs(y)&abs(z) +0.1*noise3d(5*x,5*y,5*z)}
        bounded_by {box {-2,2}}
        eval            sign 1        threshold 1
        texture{pigment{Red}}
}

G.