POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Yo Colefax ! : Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem ! Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yo Colefax I Solved The Problem !
From: Ken
Date: 6 Dec 1999 13:11:44
Message: <384BF9E7.4EA25295@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> The spotlight isn't necessary to get this effect.  The problem, as I had
> suspected, is that the sampling interval for the point lights is essentially
> infinite, so the chance of getting a sample that scatters the light from the
> point sources is vanishingly small.  If you add a backstop like
>
>  plane {-z,-500 pigment {rgbt 1}}
>
> to the scene, it renders as expected (though it's all white.)  Notice the
> lack of the hollow keyword.  Since I didn't expect significant contributions
> from the media beyond 500 units, I elected to remove it from consideration and
> speed up the render a tad.  (indeed, if you add hollow it's still all white,
> as expected.)

The question that arises then is if this is desirable behavior. I expect
a point light to interact with media in a similar way as a spot light with
the exception that it is a uniform distribution of interaction rather than
a focused interaction like you recieve with a spotlight. To some degree
I understand why adding the plane works but wouldn't it be considered
a hack rather than desirable behavior ?