POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering speed : Re: Rendering speed Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering speed
From: Axel Baune
Date: 6 Dec 1999 05:50:08
Message: <384B950F.D6A12A88@neuro.informatik.uni-ulm.de>
>   It's very known that the memory management in Linux is a lot better than
> in Windows.
>   The other "side-effect" of better memory management is that things usually
> run faster.

However, I think, it could be not only the memory management of windows
that makes it slow! If you kill the pov engine by CTRL-ALT-DEL and kill
the process in the upcoming box, the memory is almost immediately freed.
Therefore I'm wondering what pov does if you stop a render and I think
it must be also possible under windows to stop a render immediately
without disk thrashing (however not several minutes, if it could be some
seconds; see killing the povengine). But I may be mistaken.

Yours
Axel Baune