POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Silly little feature request : Re: Silly little feature request Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:16:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Silly little feature request
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 4 Dec 1999 20:39:39
Message: <3849BD2D.CFA57237@enter.net>
TonyB wrote:

> Sounds overly complex. Being variable like "clock", "parse_time" sounds
> better to me, as the user can do what he/she wants with it.

Now that's a good point: flexibility.

It's been asked before to have access to the system clock for
things like random seeding (although that's been shown to have an
alternative), and such. If POV had a  built-in function that
returned a variable or array containing the date/time at the moment
that code was parsed, a macro which calculates time differential
could coded from it pretty easily, but any additional uses (like
time/date stamping file i/o blocks, or inserting creation dates as
text objects within your scene, for example) and such would also be
able to use the same function. It would be more generally useful.
No longer as "silly little" a feature request, therefore.

Charles