POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : algebraic and quartic surfaces : Re: algebraic and quartic surfaces Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: algebraic and quartic surfaces
From: Mark Gordon
Date: 2 Dec 1999 22:29:56
Message: <38473918.E1A1DEE6@mailbag.com>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> jon chertok <che### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> : Can anyone help me find software that can model algebraic and quartic
> : surfaces?
>
>   POV-Ray?-)
>   The superpatch is even better.

I think he may be looking for a modeler, not a renderer.

I'm not sure what the interface for something like that would look like:
one slider bar (with textbox alternative) for each coefficient, with a
preview window?  Or would the textbox be sufficient?  A set of radio
buttons to increase the order of the surface, which will increase the
number of sliders/textboxes accordingly? Algebraic surfaces in general
don't really have control points, so the familiar click-and-drag of
patch control points won't work.

-Mark Gordon