POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Doc question : Re: Doc question Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:20:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doc question
From: Fabien Hénon
Date: 2 Dec 1999 13:13:15
Message: <3846B5D1.F96855BC@club-internet.fr>

> Peter Popov wrote:
> > Try this:
> >
> > <A HREF="" ALT="A cute little tip popping up...">Point your mouse
> > here</A>
> >
> > Of course, if you don't want it to look like a link you'll have to
> > fiddle with CSS or font settings (I will try the latter and see if it
> > works, haven't done it in years).
>
> Almost. ALT is a property of images, not HREFs. Originally to
> specify an alternate text to display on non-graphical browsers,
> some browsers will now display ALT text as a tooltip when you
> hover over the images (whether or not they are links).
>
> If you want tips to show up when you put the mouse over a link
> though, there is a very easy trick with javascript that is
> pretty commonly used on the web. It writes your tip to the status
> line in place of the URL of the link. To invoke it, do something
> like this:

>  onMouseOver="window.status='Jump to the test page'; return true;"
>  onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true;">
>  Test
> </a>
>
> window.status sets the status line of the browser to contain
> the specified text on mouseover, then clears it when the mouse
> moves on. This doesn't work with <SPAN> or <A name=...> tags,
> unfortunately, but here's a roundabout but workable way to
> use this trick with text in a non-link (well, sort of, but
> it's actually faking it).

This may do the trick, but the comments I want to add will not fit in the
status status line (some of the  POV keywords are explained with several
lines/ chapters).  The only alternative with the comments added to the
windows status bar would be srolling lines. If someone has got an example
handy for me to give it a try and a look. (and vice versa)

Thanks