POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: Doc question : Re: Doc question Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Doc question
From: Charles Fusner
Date: 30 Nov 1999 21:26:09
Message: <3844843E.16916E6B@enter.net>
Peter Popov wrote:
> Try this:
>
> <A HREF="" ALT="A cute little tip popping up...">Point your mouse
> here</A>
>
> Of course, if you don't want it to look like a link you'll have to
> fiddle with CSS or font settings (I will try the latter and see if it
> works, haven't done it in years).

Almost. ALT is a property of images, not HREFs. Originally to
specify an alternate text to display on non-graphical browsers,
some browsers will now display ALT text as a tooltip when you
hover over the images (whether or not they are links).

If you want tips to show up when you put the mouse over a link
though, there is a very easy trick with javascript that is
pretty commonly used on the web. It writes your tip to the status
line in place of the URL of the link. To invoke it, do something
like this:

 onMouseOver="window.status='Jump to the test page'; return true;"
 onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true;">
 Test
</a>

window.status sets the status line of the browser to contain
the specified text on mouseover, then clears it when the mouse
moves on. This doesn't work with <SPAN> or <A name=...> tags,
unfortunately, but here's a roundabout but workable way to
use this trick with text in a non-link (well, sort of, but
it's actually faking it).

The style sheet declaration (unless you already use an external
CSS file for your styles, use this inside the <HEAD> of your
HTML file):

<STYLE type="text/css">
    A.Tips { text-decoration: none; color: #0000FF; }
</STYLE>

This declares all "A" tags of the class "Tips" to be non-
underlined and blue. Now write your "links" like this...
<a name="#here"></a>
    onMouseOver="window.status='...Brings up this comment'; return
true;"
    onMouseOut="window.status=''; return true;">
 This text...
</a>

Example above assumes you are on a page called "thispage.html"
so if your visitor clicks your flagged text (which you didn't
mean to be a link) it'll just loop him back to the current point,
no harm done. The text will be blue, but not underlined, and will
still display the status line text onMouseOver and clear it
again on MouseOut.

Charles