POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some musings about POV-Ray and Java... : Re: Some musings about POV-Ray and Java... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some musings about POV-Ray and Java...
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 27 Nov 1999 19:49:55
Message: <38407c33@news.povray.org>
Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
> Peter Popov wrote:
>
> > I tend to try every POV-related but of software if I think it will be
> > of use to me. If ever you complete this project and release a final
> > version, I will be glad to try it out. And no, I don't know Java, but
> > maybe it was about time I learned it :)
> >
> > Does Java support macros and defines? Can a "scene" in this
> > hypothetical Java-Pov-whatever language look a lot like a POV scene if
> > hacked around with defines?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonoooooooooooooooooonoooooooonononon
onono!!!!!!!!!

Wide Grin.

I must agree with Jon. There wouldn't be much reason for a JAVA-POV to look
exactly like the old POV, would there? Why would someone want to use it
then, better to stick to the original...
No, the idea was to use a more powerful "real" programming language to
create even more complex "scripted" scenes than "possible" with pure
POV-Script (which means: "Possible in an easier and halfway readable,
maintainable and understandable way", because everything is just plain
*possible* in POV-Script of course, the question is, how difficult it is).
Other people had the same idea earlier, using C++ or Perl for that, I
thought Java would be good for that too...

Greetings,
Johannes.