POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color Passing in #macro : Re: Color Passing in #macro Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:24:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color Passing in #macro
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 26 Nov 1999 20:41:54
Message: <383f36e2@news.povray.org>
Nieminen Juha <war### [at] punarastascstutfi> wrote:
>   It certainly looks like a bug. I don't know of any way of printing
the
> values of the vector when it has five components so I can't see what's
> happening. There seems to be no way to access the 5th component of a
vector
> and #write doesn't work for 5-dimensional vectors for some strange
reason.
>   5-dimensional vectors are obviously handled differently from 4 or
less
> dimensinal vectors, and perhaps the bug is related to that.

If the variable you want to pass is declared as a colour then everything
behaves as expected.  Taking into account other seemingly 'strange'
behaviour (eg. what happens when you specify checker colours without
commas, or try certain colour arithmetic) I don't think I'd classify
this as a bug.  Declaring a variable as a colour (using the color
prefix, or rgbft, etc.) also allows you to correctly access the filter
and transmit components using dot notation (although colours are not
supported by the #write function).