POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Some musings about POV-Ray and Java... : Re: Some musings about POV-Ray and Java... Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some musings about POV-Ray and Java...
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 26 Nov 1999 19:25:12
Message: <383f24e8@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote in message
[snip]

> I know how you feel about Perl, and from what little experience I have
> with it, I can relate. However, it might be worth checking out for any
> progress on Geoffrey's idea. Another thing that comes to mind is to
> take a look at Steve's Object Builder and see how much it satisfies
> your needs.
>
> Old ideas never die. They just don't get implemented :)

Indeed! :-)

Anyway, *if* I should create such a Java-POV, it would be more or less for
the fun of doing so, and that fun I (personally) can not gain from
programming Perl (brrr :)
This means also, that the main goal is not as much to find something
existing that somehow satisfies my needs (like that I quickly need a tool I
can use in an ongoing project), but to create something new, for the fun of
it (I like programming, haven't you guessed ;-).

Still it would probably be hopless to try to convince anyone else to use it
once it is done, because those POV-users that already do script their scenes
(as opposed to those using modelers) are, as Remco wrote, addicted to the
POV script anyway :-) and my (statistically totally unfounded) guess would
be, that also only a few of them already know Java, which would mean, that
they would have to learn a new language to do essentially the same they are
doing already with POV :-)
Now that would be a topic for one of those endless surveys that have been
popping up recently in p.off-topic: How many of you know Java? (no, no, that
was a joke!)

If I ever proceed to more than just "musings" about this, I will tell you
all - at a povray newsgroup near you! :=)

Johannes.