POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Trace timer problem : Re: Trace timer problem Server Time
15 May 2024 21:37:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trace timer problem
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 24 Nov 1999 17:40:40
Message: <383c6968@news.povray.org>
Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
> if indeed the timer does not stop until a key is pressed, even after
> the trace is finished, then this looks like a bug. I do not have the
> MS-DOS version so will you please try it on several different files /
> resolutions and if you can confirm it is indeed a bug, post a bug
> report. Thank you in advance.

A little rummage around in the source reveals it is indeed a bug, but
not specific at all to the MS-DOS version.  The mentioned non-display of
parse and/or trace time when either is less than 1 second should occur
on all platforms (try rendering light_source {0, 0} with a width and
height of 1 if you're looking for a suitably quick scene to confirm
this).

The bug occurs in the main program loop, where the timer is not stopped
until the tracing function is finished.  But the tracing function(s)
includes the display of the image while it is being rendered, and at the
end includes the waiting for a keypress to exit (ie. the bug doesn't
occur if you use -D to not display the image, and the bug doesn't occur
in POV-Ray for Windows because it doesn't support the +P pausing
option).

As bugs go I would have to say it seems more like an oversight, and its
effects are fairly limited.  Nevertheless, if Alf would like to post a
bug report about this I'm sure you (Peter) can enlighten him on the
correct procedure...