POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Foreign Launguage POV-Ray Newsgroups ? : Re: Foreign Launguage POV-Ray Newsgroups ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Foreign Launguage POV-Ray Newsgroups ?
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 26 Nov 1999 18:42:50
Message: <383F1ABB.967B653@xs4all.nl>
Sander wrote:

> I speak, read, write Dutch (read about 75% Spanish, 95% French and
> German)
> and generally use English for POV.
> My suggestion would be not to start foreign language groups:
> non-participants would have the funny feeling they are missing
> something,
> while the foreigners would also have to read all the English groups.
> Sander
> --

I'm not such a multi-linguist, I don't care much for any language.
This is supposed to be an English-speaking group, which leaves out the
people who find it difficult to read or write English (and yes there are
such people).
I also see a frequent use of what I guess is Spanish. If those people
don't want me to understand what they write it is their good right, so
be it.
I believe there's already a French group, I can imagine there is a
German group somewhere, I don't see any problem in that and I most
certainly don't feel left out. If I want to be part of those groups I
have the choice of putting in some effort to (learn to) read those
messages.
Should we let ourselves be stopped to start a group in a 'foreign
language' (I never considered Dutch as a foreign language) because soem
poor folks would be left out?

To be honest, I often find it tiresome to find the right (English) words
to say what I want to say, I regularly make mistakes and oh boy....!

I recognize the dominance of the English language but I don't think you
necessarily have to forget about your own language only because you're
using POV and want to exachange experiences.

Just my opinion which would most definitely be far more eloquently
expressed if I would have done it in Dutch and for more hilarious if I'd
have tried it in German 8)
(There _is_ at least one mistake in that sentence... :( )

Remco