POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Re: Motion Blurring : Re: Motion Blurring Server Time
2 May 2024 22:57:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blurring
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 26 Nov 1999 00:46:51
Message: <383E1F11.B915E40F@geocities.com>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 12:36:16 -0800, "Jon A. Cruz"
> <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
>
> >Hmmm. Ya got my brain working more.
> >
> >I imagine that one could hook in some image analysis to help. Just render
> >two frames spaced normally. Then do a diff and locate the rectangle areas in
> >the images that changed from one to the next. Then re-render sub-frames with
> >only these sections specified. This should catch reflections, etc. also.
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work.  If the "before" and "after" positions
> of the object don't intersect in screen-space, you might neglect to
> rerender the space in between for each subframe.  The object also
> might not just move within the rectangle bounded by its beginning and
> ending positions.

Ahhh. and this is where the problem gets interesting.

Getting the proper algorithm for calculating the rectangles to render would
probably be a very satisfying challenge.

However, it's quite likely that as long as a fairly decent target frame rate
(15fps+ ?) is used, and objects aren't moving too fast, then it would be far
less likely to miss object movement. And the program running the frame renders
can do some simple motion vector tracking and extrapolation.

Then of course there's allways the fallback of flagging unusual cases for human
intervention. And there's always the option of giving it some hints (manual or
.pov extracted).

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.