POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.programming : Motion Blurring : Re: Motion Blurring Server Time
25 Apr 2024 20:01:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Motion Blurring
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 25 Nov 1999 15:35:04
Message: <383D9DC0.B6B56729@geocities.com>
Peter Popov wrote:

> I have successfully used averaged frames to make motion blur. A quick
> (and dirty) way to increase rendering speed is to only render those
> objects that move, using the +ua option, and then superimpose the
> averaged result over the previously rendered rest of the scene. This
> has the disadvantage of breaking shadows and reflection, but this can
> be fixed, too, though it will make more time (render- and otherwise).

Hmmm. Ya got my brain working more.

I imagine that one could hook in some image analysis to help. Just render
two frames spaced normally. Then do a diff and locate the rectangle areas in
the images that changed from one to the next. Then re-render sub-frames with
only these sections specified. This should catch reflections, etc. also.

Hmmmm... depending on implementation details, this might actually give good
results. I imagine that it would be best for scenes with the camera
stationary, and fewer things moving. Parse-time would also need to be
monitored.

Quite an interesting problem...

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.