POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Space for Animations : Re: Space for Animations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:26:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space for Animations
From: Karl Pelzer
Date: 23 Nov 1999 14:02:42
Message: <383AF349.2F890107@t-online.de>
Richard Quick wrote:

> I am new to POV-RAY, and what I have seen of the animations, I am
> jumping in with both feet.  But before I do, what am I going to be
> looking at for usage of space?  I have a little 4GB HD with 1/2 gig
> free space left.  Should I wait till I get a second HD, or can I go
> ahead, and hope that I do not run out of space?  I have plenty of
> graphics from my other applications, creating stationary for OE.
>
> Also, I have only been on the PC since April 1998, and still consider
> myself a newbie.    I have a Pentium II MMX 266 MHz, 64MB RAM, 4GB HD,
> 56Kbs U. S. Robotics modem, 32x CD ROM, ATI video card, and a
> SoundBlaster 16 audio card.
>
> What would be  a good second HD to get for my machine?   Ken, anybody?
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Richard Quick
>
> P.S.  God Bless you, and may the Lord season your dreams.
>
> http://www.cpinternet.com/~rmquick/

IMHO, a 1/2 gig is enough as long as you delete the single frames after
having compiled them to a movie.
If you want to start making longer animations I recommend to burn them
on CD-ROM / RW ;-)
But if you really want to get a new hard disk I think the IBM DJNA
352030 (20,3 GB) offers the best GB/money value. In Germany it's about
348 DM.
BTW, did you ever think of overclocking your processor? I'm not sure at
which frequencies the Pentium II 266 MHz will work but take a look at
"Tom's Hardware Guide" http://www.sysdoc.pair.com/
There you'll find plenty of information about it.

Karl