POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : again, julia_fractal : Re: again, julia_fractal Server Time
6 May 2024 13:42:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: again, julia_fractal
From: Gerald K  Dobiasovsky
Date: 22 Nov 1999 19:48:46
Message: <3839e46e@news.povray.org>
michael mcknight <nes### [at] ouedu> wrote:

> all right.  thanks everyone for replying to that and actively mulling it
> over.  it sounds like someone with enough knowledge could hack out a patch
> to fix the errors if they cared too.  i've got the motivation but,
> unfortunately, not the knowhow.  so while i wait for circumstance to pan
> out, does anyone know of any other software, commercial or otherwise, that
> can ray trace quaternion or hypercomplex julia sets and do other general
> raytracing things like euclidean primitives and csg?
> thanks a bunch.
> michael

Sorry, none of the programs I know of do _both_ (quaternions and
general raytracing). Commercial rendering packages often come with
pretty "heavy" scripting or shader programming languages, but that
leaves the question if some user already has produced a script/shader for
3d fractal objects for that particular package.

Some of the freeware quaternion 3d programs
(you probably know about these):

FractalZPlot:
http://www-hs.iuta.u-bordeaux.fr/terry/
(This program is able to output WaveFront .OBJ files)

Quat:
http://wwwcip.rus.uni-stuttgart.de/~phy11733/index_e.html

Quaternion Julia Navigator:
http://www.pff-software.demon.nl/qjn/qjn.htm