POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Trace timer problem : Re: Trace timer problem Server Time
29 Apr 2024 04:09:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trace timer problem
From: Alf Peake
Date: 22 Nov 1999 17:32:04
Message: <3839c464@news.povray.org>
Sorry if I did not make it very clear what I was getting.
I would only consider I had a problem if I needed to use the <time for
parse/trace> data (which I was doing). I have no problems with the trace
itself.
Using TIMER.POV and command line both as shown in my first post, in DOS you
get a normal render full-screen preview completed within 1 second, then pov
waits for you to hit a key. So you wait around 15 secs for this demo then
hit one. Screen clears and you get the statistics screen which I've dumped
to the attached text file. Notice the trace time? Timer only stops when you
hit the key, not when the trace stops.

Murphy's law says I can't get a dump with the missing <time for parse> :(

Later...

Just tried this on another PC with Pov v3.1d for dos - a Pentium 166
non-MMX, Win95a, booting to dos, and W95a dos prompt. Same problem exists.

Alf

http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alf_Peake/

  Chris Colefax <cco### [at] geocitiescom> wrote in message
> Alf Peake <alf### [at] peake42freeservecouk> wrote:
> >: Also <time for parse> is not always shown.
>
> Nieminen Juha wrote:
> >  I think that when <time for parse> is 0 seconds, then it's not shown.
>
> Peter Popov <pet### [at] usanet> wrote:
> > Can you confirm this? Do you have access to a DOS box? Is it a bug and
> > if yes, is it documented?
>
> Yes, if the scene requires very little parsing then only the render time
> is shown.  In fact, if the scene requires less than a second of
> rendering then this isn't shown either!   For animations, however, this
> seems to be taken into account fine when calculating the average parsing
> and rendering speed, and I wouldn't say I think of this as 'buggy'
> behaviour myself.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'scrndump.txt.dat' (3 KB)