POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Space for Animations : Re: Space for Animations Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Space for Animations
From: Spock
Date: 22 Nov 1999 15:59:25
Message: <3839aead@news.povray.org>
I think 500MB is plenty to start animating.

A 640x480 image is 901KB (might as well call it 1MB just
in case) so a 60 frame movie will cost you 60MB for the
images plus the finished movie.  I use animated gifs since
they seem to loop smoothly and I like loops (just about the
only way I can get more than a few seconds of animation
is to make it loop and watch it go round and round :-)  My
average 60 frame movie turns out to be between 3MB and
10MB, depending on the number of things I move between
each frame.

As for choosing a hard drive I can only say bigger is better.
I have a 13GB drive and I think it only cost me about $200.
Just pick a reliable brand name, double the size you think
you will need, and do frequent backups...

PS: Any disk can crash so give some serious thought to those
backups.  In theory you only need to back up hand-edited
files so even a floppy is better than nothing.