POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Maps : Re: Image Maps Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 21 Nov 1999 10:22:47
Message: <38380EE7.674BEAF0@peak.edu.ee>
You may have to use planar, cylindrical or spherical mapping (see docs about
map_type). The choice depends on the projection type of the map you have. If the
map uses the equal-area cylindrical projection, use cylindrical mapping to apply
it to he sphere. If the map uses the equidistant cylindrical projection (aka
rectangular or equirectangular), use spherical mapping. If you happen to have
two orthographic projection maps of opposing hemispheres, you can use planar
mapping.
AFAICS you cannot use any other projection type, although some can be converted
to a suitable type.

For information about map projections, see for example:
http://www.ahand.unicamp.br/~furuti/ST/Cart/Dither/CartHow/cartHow.html

Margus