POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov vs comercial products : Re: Pov vs comercial products Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov vs comercial products
From: Simon de Vet
Date: 21 Nov 1999 10:23:13
Message: <38380E8A.B66C18D@istar.ca>
Luciano Pennini wrote:

> Hello!
>     I'd like to know if anybody can point me the differences between pov
> and comercial packages like 3ds, softimage, etc.  I'm talking 'bout the
> renderer capabilities, not the fact that the other programs have a
> graphical interfase and pov doesn't.

I have found that investing in a modelling program like Rhino3D
(www.rhino3d.com) can allow POV to rival commercial products on almost all
levels.

POV is an excellent renderer, nicer than most of the commercial products
(except for radiosity). It excells at procedural texturing while most of the
commercial products rely on texturemapping. If done right, it can look much
nicer.