POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov vs comercial products : Re: Pov vs comercial products Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov vs comercial products
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 20 Nov 1999 17:13:22
Message: <38371DA9.87D71ED@peak.edu.ee>
The rendering capabilities of POV are often on par with commercial ones. Indeed,
it has several renderer-related features that many commercial packages do not.
And it is very flexible.
The real advantage of commercial packages is integration and productivity. You
can create a reasonable-quality image far quicker with commercial packages,
which is imperative in a professional environment. POV is not well suited for
most commercial applications, especially when it comes to complex animations. I
must say though that most current limitations are related to modelling, not
image quality. If a high-end modeller would have (full) POV support, the result
should be quite lucrative to professional users. Although rendering speed would
probably not be very competitive.

Margus