POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where's Dave Mason's homepage? : Re: Where's Dave Mason's homepage? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where's Dave Mason's homepage?
From: Mike
Date: 20 Nov 1999 16:56:05
Message: <38371681.E21C4A8A@aol.com>
> I notice that you are using your AOL address when replying here. There
> is a person over at CGRR who tells me that since he is posting through
> AOL he cannot subscibe to these groups. It this true or is there a
> way for him to access the groups here using his AOL account ?

Unfortunately AOL isn't very good about informing their members on how to
access things outside of the service.  It's very easy to do but requires an
external browser.  I use netscape.

Here's what I tell people to do:  install netscape, run it, then skip all
the things it asks you to do EXCEPT where it asks you for newsgroup server
info.  Tell it the news server name is news and to use port 119.  You'll
also want to put a name for yourself and probably an e-mail address.  After
that you can open Collabra, enter news.povray.org as the server and then
pick the groups you want to subscribe to (under file->subscribe to
discussion groups).

Also, some people get confused on how to use the browser.  You need to sign
onto AOL and then open the netscape.  Once you are connected to AOL you are
connected to the internet.  It won't work with IE inside AOL.

-Mike