POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov vs comercial products : Re: Pov vs comercial products Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov vs comercial products
From: Matt Giwer
Date: 20 Nov 1999 02:09:49
Message: <38364946.E04AE4FA@giwersworld.org>
Luciano Pennini wrote:

> Hello!
>     I'd like to know if anybody can point me the differences between pov
> and comercial packages like 3ds, softimage, etc.  I'm talking 'bout the
> renderer capabilities, not the fact that the other programs have a
> graphical interfase and pov doesn't.

	I'll second Mr. Tran. Clever tricks instead of the real thing.
As an obvious point, the next time you see a CG movie or the CG
parts of a movie pay attention to the shadows and you will see
the real difference.

	And then of course there is price not only for the software but
for an overpriced workstation named after a gemstone. The
intermediate stuff is neither POV nor movie look and feel but
their own look and feel.

--
<blink>---please--don't---</blink>

http://www.giwersworld.org/artiii/