POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : again, julia_fractal : Re: again, julia_fractal Server Time
6 May 2024 17:09:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: again, julia_fractal
From: omniVERSE
Date: 19 Nov 1999 04:19:56
Message: <3835163c@news.povray.org>
Guess you mean the two ends (-x and +x) that are fragmented into mere
speckles instead of staying solid like the rest.
I really don't have any answer, just want to clarify this for others.
I rotated it 0*y instead of 80*y so it could be seen better where it goes
bad.  From what I've seen of the 'julia_fractal' it is prone to some
calculation precision errors (maybe) or more likely raytraced surface
difficulties, I guess you'd say, tending have some part appear like this,
though that doesn't mean there isn't a solution necessarily.
'iteration', if higher tends to scatter the surface more although dropping
it lower doesn't ever help since you lose the fractaling.  Raising precision
doesn't seem the anwer.
What's happening in your case must be that the sqr function is failing at
those points. Maybe the mathematically inclined will have some observations.

Bob

michael mcknight <nes### [at] ouedu> wrote in message
> i posted earlier saying that i get an error in julia fractals sometimes
that
> looks like parts of them have been randomly sliced up.  i got a reply,
which
> i was most grateful for, saying that the putting the camera inside the
> bounding sphere of the julia fractal was causing the error.
unfortunately,
> when i moved it back to 20 units, i still get the error.  does anyone one
> know why?  thanks in advance.  here's my code.
>
> camera{
>   location -20*z
>   angle 6
> }