POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inexplicable shadow? : Re: Inexplicable shadow? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inexplicable shadow?
From: Ken
Date: 18 Nov 1999 18:03:27
Message: <38348582.1F3F44BC@pacbell.net>
Xplo Eristotle wrote:

> > If possible could you render the object and in a paint program place
> > an arrow at the fault then post a small image of the problem in the
> > images group ?
>
> Okay. At the moment, there is just such an image on the web...
>
> http://members2.easyspace.com/durendal/altar.jpg
>
> ...but I can post it to the images NG as well.

No need that was enough :)

> > Tell us what version of the program you are using, what platform, and
> > the color resolution your system is operating on. As Bill mentioned
> > if you are using your system with anything less the millions of
> > colors at a 24 bit resolution you might be seeing color banding which
> > most of us will not be able to reproduce at higher resolution levels.
>
> The latest version publicly available.. 3.1g or thereabouts. 7100/66AV
> w/Sonnet G3/266 upgrade running MacOS 8.6. 640 x 480 x 24-bit display.
>
> I call the band "narrow", but in fact it's fairly large (as you'll see),
> and couldn't possibly be the result of color banding.

That is an impressive defect and one I am not seeing on the windows version
of the program. I suspect it might be a precision problem with the Mac
version but I have no way to confirm this. Maybe we can get another Mac
user to try your example and see it they can reproduce it. Otherwise
I have no idea what may be causing it.

Sorry for the lack of help :(