POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4 : Re: Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:22:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4
From: Charles
Date: 16 Nov 1999 21:15:40
Message: <3832100C.63958789@enter.net>
Nieminen Juha wrote:
> Charles <cfu### [at] enternet> wrote:
> : I would
> : also add, though, that I never understood why the default was to
> : NOT accept media unless a keyword was added.
>
>   Usually fog doesn't go inside objects. That's why.

Ahhhh, yes. Fog. In six years, I've only had two uses for it, and
neither involved transparent objects, so the first time the hollow
keyword became an issue for me was when halo hit the scene. I had
forgotten (or never read) any previous applications of the word.

>   There might be situations where you want media inside an object but not
> fog (or other medias). Perhaps there should be more keywords to specify
> these kind of things, as someone already suggested.

Yes, that's  true. For flexibility's sake, you probably shouldn't
have fog and media accepted or forbidden with the same keyword.

Technically for maximum flexibility, it wouldn't hurt if objects
could accept or forbid any number of named media in whatever
combinations the artist sees fit, although I don't know how much more
complexity that might add to the code internally, so I'm not sure
whether people would consider it worth the trouble.

It might, at the least, involve adding some kind of "name" keyword
inside media that would enable them to become recognizable to the
renderer as distinct independent named entities. Then you could
add lines to your object such as...

forbid FireMedia //forbid the specific named entity "FireMedia"
//or...
forbid fog //forbid fog within the object boundary