POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Putting light sources inside hollow objects : Re: Putting light sources inside hollow objects Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Putting light sources inside hollow objects
From: Robert Dawson
Date: 12 Nov 1999 08:56:31
Message: <382c1c8f@news.povray.org>
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Clinton <cli### [at] ibmnet>
Newsgroups: povray.general
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 1999 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: Putting light sources inside hollow objects

> Oops! I didn't realize this.  Sorry about the mis-information above and
> thank you for pointing this out, Chris.  It does seem unnatural for the
> hollow keyword to have no effect on the csg.

    I think the point is that there is no obvious *use* for omitting hollow
objects from csg. If you don't want the object to cut anything out, don't
cut it...  While one could write a macro in which a hollow-in-that-sense
object would act differently than any single thing now available, it would
be bad code in that semantic units would cross syntactic boundaries (like C
preprocessor macros without enough parentheses.)

    My own $2E-2: "hollow" is very noninintuitive.  When media is attached
to an object, I want to think of it as being the middle of the object, so
that an object with media inside is one which is *not* hollow.   I guess I
would have preferred media-containment to be the default, with "empty" or
"no_media" for an object that excludes media.  There are probably god
arguments for the way it was done, though; and I cannot say that the choice
made is in any way hard to work with.

    -Robert Dawson