POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4 : Re: Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4 Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Removing keyword "hollow" from pov3.5 or 4
From: Charles
Date: 12 Nov 1999 18:57:16
Message: <382CA924.44B8EF6F@enter.net>
I agree with this vehemently. Hollow does seem to cause all kinds
of misunderstanding, and isn't a logically accurate term. I would
also add, though, that I never understood why the default was to
NOT accept media unless a keyword was added.

Granted, there are ocassions when you want the bounding shape to...
shall we call it "forbid" a global media in a given region for
special effect purposes, but when you attach a media to an object,
why also require that you specify a separate keyword to make sure
doing so has an effect? And need we mention the unexpected
"camera in a non-hollow object" problems?

With that in mind, I would propose that what is now known as
"hollow" become the default condition of all objects, and that
a replacement keyword "no_media" be added, being to media what
"no_shadow" is to shadows. "hollow" could then be phased out the
way refraction is now, generating a warning and having no effect
(which would result in no negative impact on old scenes, since
"hollowness" is then the default state anyway.)