POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Problems with media density patterns : Re: Problems with media density patterns Server Time
10 Aug 2024 21:08:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Problems with media density patterns
From: Ken
Date: 6 Nov 1999 14:19:53
Message: <38247F5F.79052FB2@pacbell.net>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Thanks. The documentation needs to be updated. Here is a quote from the
> section explaining media density(page 283):
> "For block pattern types checker , hexagon , and brick  you may specify
> a color list such as this:   density{checker rgb<1,0,0>, rgb<0,0,0>}"

I noted that inconsistancy when I first started playing with color list
patterns and also found the referece you did a couple of pages later and
quite a bit of searching. It is confusing and the docs should be corrected.

> And isn't this a bit inconsistant? You can use color_maps with other
> patterns, why not a color list with the list patterns? I would fix it to
> allow the same syntax to be used, but I can't figure out what the code
> is doing. :-(

You can only use color vectors or color maps with list patterns in pigment
statements. With the density statement however it is being treated the same
way that color list patterns are treated in a texture statement i.e.

texture { checker
           texture{pigment{DMFDarkOak }scale .2 finish{Shiny}}
           texture{pigment{DMFLightOak}scale .2 finish{Shiny}}
        }

or

texture { hexagon
           texture{T1}