POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm : Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov -> mpeg without tga/bmp/ppm
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 28 Oct 1999 23:43:32
Message: <381917e4@news.povray.org>
In article <38185CAE.213623AA@cantor.informatik.rwth-aachen.de> , Peter
Santo <pet### [at] cantorinformatikrwth-aachende>  wrote:

>> QT Pro does that kind of conversions, but with the basic QT freeware I render
>> directly to a QT movie with POV.
>
> What does "directly" mean? If every frame is compressed by itself
> (without using information from preceding and/or following frames) the
> compression rate will be comparable to jpg. That is not what I had in
> mind. I aim for compression rates a magnitude higher.

Well, in theory a codec could access previous frames and optimise the
compression for a set of frames. I don't know how the available MPEG codecs
do it. however.
As for "directly", you could just use a lossless codec and do the
compression to another format later (no need for QT Pro, there are enough
tools that allow you to do a simple change of the encoder). For example a
Sorensen codec if you want very high compression. Of course you could also
use a commercial MPEG 2 encoder and create a movie out of it to be put on
DVD.

    Thorsten