POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay and reality 2 : Re: PovRay and reality 2 Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay and reality 2
From: Bill the Galactic Hero
Date: 21 Oct 1999 12:45:59
Message: <380f4347@news.povray.org>
Derek Zahn <der### [at] uswestnet> wrote :

> Using POV to do truly photorealistic images is a clear-cut and interesting
> challenge, but aesthetically I'm not sure that duplicating one expressive
> medium with another really takes advantage of the potential of that
medium.

    My thoughts exactly. Although I appreciate the effort and the techniques
of those who do photorealistic work (and learn from it whenever I can),
I -have- a camera. I use POV to create images that a camera cannot take,
either because of the vantage point, or because the subject does not exist,
or both. (If I could get my "SpinningToroidalSingularity01.avi" to squeeze
under 1mb I could show you what I mean).

    I also try to make all of my objects animation ready. If I wanted
something that could only be seen from a static viewpoint I could use a
paint program.