POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images : Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Illegal Commercial Usage of IRTC Images
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 18 Oct 1999 13:03:55
Message: <380a5df0.209179380@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:44:13 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

[snip]
>Sueing assumes that the publisher is not all together bona fide. Now this is not
>an elegant thing, but I don't really think the publisher here intentionally
>broke some copyright-law. Perhaps a good first step would be to simply write a
>(e-)letter, stating that they have used one (or more) of _your_ products and how
>this could happen and then see how they react. It's good to not let this go
>unnoticed. If the publisher has had a chance to defend his actions you can
>decide what happens next.
>Of course, chances are they'll ignore you, in which case sueing in court might
>not really be an option but nailing them to a virtual wall on the internet (by
>all sorts of ways) is! I think they're are a lot of people who'll support you
>then.

I am not a lawyer, etc. etc. etc. but agree this sounds like the best
course of action. Sadly, the only case I'm aware of (due to other
interests) where a commercial company has used graphics from a web
site (where copyright information is displayed) didn't go to well -
the initial e-mail was responded to by a rather sharp and borderline
threatening response. Don't let a stiff reply get you down!

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/