POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : A very liquid animation : Re: A very liquid animation Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A very liquid animation
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 17 Oct 1999 08:15:28
Message: <3809BE02.24B0B147@xs4all.nl>
Shaw wrote:

> There is a company that does plug-ins for high end pricey renderers,
> there is an animation of a box being filled with a liquid that is beyond
> belief, for me anyway.  The website is www.areteis.com, click on the
> picture of the half filled blue liquid box and download the animation.
> Then let's figure out a way to do it......  Notice that just before the
> "water" hits the floor of the box there is a induced split in the liquid
> it seems, in order to make it flow around the box.  Anyone know of
> literature on how this would be attempted?
>
> Shaw

I downloaded the MOV but it wouldn't play for some reason. I tried both
MediaPlayer and Quicktime, but nothing showed. I'm assuming it was terrific 8)
I did see the fire-animation they had. It seemed small and simple but _very_
realistic. Not like just a special effect, but a thorough simulation.
With the liquid I guess it is much more complicated.
You should be able to do that in POV, as I'm convinced you can do anything in
POV (I mean it), as long as you can get the scene-file and have the occasional
patch.
The problem with this is that I think the calculations for such a liquid
animation would be so complicated, with lots of parameters, and you'd need so
many that it would probably take POV over a week to parse a frame (so to speak).
It would be rather inefficient to do this in POV; a program (in C or Pascal)
would do this much faster and wouldn't be more complicated to make (au contraire
- I think).

Remco