POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : new (slow) G4s vs. G3s : Re: new (slow) G4s vs. G3s Server Time
3 Jul 2024 04:50:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: new (slow) G4s vs. G3s
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Oct 1999 13:18:22
Message: <3806105e@news.povray.org>
In article <38059455.166FA59E@puzzlecraft.com> , Steve
<ste### [at] puzzlecraftcom>  wrote:

> Are ya'll using CodeWarrior? Version 5? Something else?

CW Pro 5 was not stable at the time of the release and had some nice bugs
preventing proper compilation of the offcial source. The version by the
Smellenberghs works around this by some quick hacks specific to these bugs.
The offcial source code is written to be cross-platform and we cannot do so
in an offcial version.  So the offcial version is compiled with CW Pro 4.1,
the latest stable version.  I have compiles with the current, stable CW Pro
5.2 (CW Pro 5.1 still had the bugs). Without preview the speed of the two
versions is then exactly the same while the currently available offcial
compile (3.1g.r1)is about 3% to 5% slower because of the different compiler
version - if the both versions are set up properly and with the _same_
options, of course.

    Thorsten

PS: The source code archive on mac.povray.org already contains projects for
CW Pro 5.x.

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.