POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port : Re: JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 13 Oct 1999 04:15:44
Message: <38043fb0@news.povray.org>
Jon A. Cruz <jon### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
:>   Btw, a little problem (just for curiosity, not for flaming): Make a
:> generic swap-function in Java :)

: Here's the solution:
: "Why?"

  This is the typical answer when there isn't a solution. Perhaps this specific
example is seldom really useful, but it was only an example. It demonstrates
that there are some things that can't be done. It shouldn't be very hard to
think about a similar problem which is more radical but can't be done for
the same reason.
  Why is it so hard to admit that there are things that you just can't do
with java and that you have to live with that if you are coding java?
  There are things that are very difficult, if not impossible to do with C++
and I don't have any problem in admitting it. I know that C++ has some very
bad things. I know that it would need some features which would make it more
safe. I admit it and I don't have any problem doing it.
  What I wonder why is it so hard for java coders to admit that java is not
perfect? Java seems to be a holy thing and if you criticize it you are
committing blasphemy.
  Java coders seem to be like windows users: When they can't do something then
they convince themselves that actually they don't really need it.