POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port : Re: JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:17:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 13 Oct 1999 00:15:20
Message: <38040799.8BD1F8CA@geocities.com>
Nieminen Juha wrote:

> (Yes, I know that java coders can tell a hundred and one reasons why those
> features are "not needed" or even "dangerous", but don't bother, I have heard
> all of them but still find them really handy (specially templates).)

If you do that is good. But it is true that they are dangerous, and easily
abused. Especially that multiple-inheritance one. Unfortunately, most
programmers are not quite as savvy as yourself, and we end up with some horrible
stuff to maintain. (BTW, this is all honest, and not said in a flaming tone)

>   Btw, a little problem (just for curiosity, not for flaming): Make a
> generic swap-function in Java :)

Here's the solution:
"Why?"

Here's another Java question: where are objects created? On the stack or on the
heap?
Answer: doesn't matter. Why should you care?

One should not do C++ things in a Java way, and vice versa. How about writing an
object-oriented debugging HTTP proxy program in under 400 lines of fully
commented code, or a high-performance video codec?

Java 3D modeler if you are using Java3D = good.
Java POV-Ray = bad.
Java POV-Ray distribution system = good. (shameless self-promotion)

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.