POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port : Re: JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 12 Oct 1999 13:51:57
Message: <3803753d@news.povray.org>
Case <p.k### [at] shcvutcz> wrote:
: Port to Java with
: same features (same API) can only make JPovRay platform independend

  But povray is already platform independent! (And surely it can be ported
to more platforms than java programs can)

: As I mentioned, our main goal is use distributed computing (one of main
: benefits)

  There are versions of povray that do distributed rendering, and I'm sure
that they are a lot faster than a java version would be.

: translate source to components, open to everybody, so that
: programmers can focused only for adding specific features without
: looking at whole source code.

  I think this is better done with C++.

  Besides, in C++ you have some handy things not available in Java, like
templates (and STL!), multiple inheritance, operator overloading, etc.
(Yes, I know that java coders can tell a hundred and one reasons why those
features are "not needed" or even "dangerous", but don't bother, I have heard
all of them but still find them really handy (specially templates).)

  Btw, a little problem (just for curiosity, not for flaming): Make a
generic swap-function in Java :)
  The C++ version would be something like:

template<typename T>
void Swap(T& p1, T& p2)
{ T tmp=p1; p1=p2; p2=tmp; }