POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port : Re: JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 12 Oct 1999 13:39:12
Message: <38037240@news.povray.org>
Case <p.k### [at] shcvutcz> wrote:
: Java for easy portability, distributing aplications, etc.

  So tell me what are the current problems in portability etc.

: With JPovRay, there will not be problem render on 100 normal machines in
: Lan (via RMI and maybe in future IIOP)(not needing cluster or cluster
: enabled operating system).

  Well, if you can render the same image with the current version in one
computer in the same time as with the java version in all those computers,
what's the point?
  Ok, ok, Java is not 100 times as slow as C, but at least 10 times, and you
seldom have 10 computers to render your scene.

: With pure Java, render code may be slowed, so using JNI (core in C) may
: help.

  Someone responded to this already.

  The current core is already in C, so what's the point?
  If you wish to make a user interface or even a modeller for povray in java,
then go ahead. I will be glad to try it.
  But don't touch povray itself, thanks.