POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : JPovRay ... a Java port : Re: JPovRay ... a Java port Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: JPovRay ... a Java port
From: Case
Date: 12 Oct 1999 11:10:17
Message: <38034FF7.F8DE8AE7@sh.cvut.cz>
> From povlegal.doc:

<cutted>
>   Modification to these APIs or other officially supported
>   communication mechanisms to increase functionality beyond that of
>   the official version IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED.
>
> This would seem to limit what you can do with plugins or modularity.

However, this is right. This make JPovRay useless. Port to Java with
same features (same API) can only make JPovRay platform independend (but
current JVMs is usable only for win32,solaris,linux...).

As I mentioned, our main goal is use distributed computing (one of main
benefits), translate source to components, open to everybody, so that
programmers can focused only for adding specific features without
looking at whole source code. Well, lot's work but much easier in Java.

So we start our own code, freely available, and use PovRay as good
reference.

> Disclaimer: Yes, I'm a member of the POV-Team.  No, I'm not making an
> official statement for them.  This post, with the exception of the
> direct quote from povlegal.doc, consists entirely of my own opinions.

Very thanks for constructive hints,

have a GOOD day

Pavel