POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Non-rolling rotations : Non-rolling rotations Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Non-rolling rotations
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 12 Oct 1999 10:47:01
Message: <38034951.5372EA25@my-dejanews.com>
I have noticed that when I use the standard reorient macros, my actors
roll along their axis of movement as they travel in a complete circle.

For example,
1) I develop and algorithm that changes the velocity of an actor so that
it moves in a circle.
2) I then use the calculated velocity to reorient an object such as
reorient (x, new_velocity).
3) I find that as I watch the actor complete a full circle, it has also
rotated about its axis of travel. (In other words, the guy inside the
craft had better be wearing a seat belt!)  Or, if I use this macro on
the camera, the ground spins as one travels around in the circle.

Is there a way to make a change or two to the reorient macro so that
this does not occur?
If  yall don't understand what I'm talking about, I can post a small
animation with the phenomenon...