POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What's this intersection jargon? : What's this intersection jargon? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:21:10 EDT (-0400)
  What's this intersection jargon?
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 10 Oct 1999 11:35:39
Message: <3800b24b@news.povray.org>
How would I intersect an isosurface with a plane?
In particular, how would I take a moving, thin slice through an
isosurface??

Say I want to take a moving slice through my chewing gum galaxy surface:

 {(noise3d(x*f,y*f,z*f)+((sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)/R)^1))}

I tried intersecting it with the following two planes, but either
superpatch isn't responding, or I don't understand the math.
I tried

&(z+zha)&(-z+.002+zha)

with a variable zha. It doesn't work at all except zha=0.
I tried to guess how to intersect the inverse of a plane, but various
guesses with a ! symbol only generated errors...