POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Normal scaling bug(s) ? : Re: Wrong documentation! was: Re: Normal scaling bug(s) ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wrong documentation! was: Re: Normal scaling bug(s) ?
From: Rune S  Johansen
Date: 9 Oct 1999 17:27:44
Message: <37ffb350@news.povray.org>
Buckaroo Bill wrote:
>Rune S. Johansen <run### [at] inamecom> wrote :
>>
>>   sphere { <0,0,0>, 1
>>     pigment { Gray75 }
>>       normal { radial frequency 10 }
>>       normal { gradient y scale .2 }
>>   }
>>

>> As far as I know both pigments and normals overwrite
>> each other when layered and a test I made confirmed that.
>>
> Not quite over-writes... try adding a scale to the first normal.
>
> sphere { <0,0,0>, 1
>    pigment { rgb 0.75 }
>      normal { radial frequency 10 scale 2.0 }
>      normal { gradient y scale .2 }
>  }
>
> But the document does not seem to be correct.

OK, it seems like I didn't study the problem carefully enough.
Now I'm even more confused and can't find out how it works...
To me it seems that the pattern of the first normal hasn't any
influence at all; only the scale. Is that right or how does it
work?

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Updated October 7: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,