POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Normal scaling bug(s) ? : Re: Normal scaling bug(s) ? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal scaling bug(s) ?
From: Rune S  Johansen
Date: 9 Oct 1999 08:21:57
Message: <37ff3365@news.povray.org>
Rune S. Johansen wrote:
>Just to confuse you even more: If you have an
>*continuous pattern normal* inside a *normal_map*
>it works as if it were a *specialized normal*,
>that is, the depth of the normal pattern follows
>the scale of the pattern proportionally. That's
>what I just found out and that makes it all even
>more confusing and inconvenient!

But... unfortunately the normal is much more blurred!

Here's a story:

I was working with the texture of the walls in my scene "Dripstone Cave". I
used a single crackle normal with the depth multiplied with "SceneScale"
which is the same amount that the pattern was scaled up afterwards.
Simplified it looked like this:

normal {
   crackle 0.15*SceneScale
}

I wanted to put the crackle normal inside a normal_map so I could use more
normals. I now removed the multiplication with SceneScale:

normal {
   average
   normal_map {
      [crackle 0.15] // not multiplied with SceneScale!
   }
}

Now the normal had the same scale AND the same depth as before BUT IT WAS
MUCH MORE BLURRED! That made it useless, and therefore I'm still looking for
a solution. :-(

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Updated October 7: http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
Containing 3D images, stereograms, tutorials,