POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3d noise in superpatch patterns? : Re: 3d noise in superpatch patterns? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d noise in superpatch patterns?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 1 Oct 1999 13:45:55
Message: <37f4f353@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 01 Oct 1999 10:31:15 -0700, Jerry wrote:
>In article <37f15de5@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
><ben### [at] panamaphoenixnet> wrote:
>
>>Perhaps you refer to noise3d()? Maybe it can be used like this:
>>
>>#declare Bozo = function {pigment {bozo color_map {[0 rgb 0][1 rgb 1]}}}
>>
>>box {5,-5 pigment {function {Bozo(x,y,z)+noise3d(x,y,z)}}}    ? Haven't
>>tried it yet, I'm just asuming.
>
>I'm getting an error when I use this (float factor expected but pigment
>found instead). I'm using the Smellenbergh Unofficial Mac port. Is this a
>newer feature, or is there a minor typo I'm not seeing?

It's a newer feature, and it's only in the superpatch.  Unfortunately, nobody
has yet succeeded in building a Mac version of the superpatch. :(

Fortunately, you can still do a lot with noise3d without using bozo (which
is practically noise3d anyway.)  See my recent posting in
povray.text.scene-files for an isosurface-based box with a noisy surface.