POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 22 Sep 1999 11:24:33
Message: <37e8f4b1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 17:00:12 +0200, Tomas Plachetka wrote:
>This is something I didn't know about (that the
>clock function is always monotone). I thought
>of it as of a variable which is automatically
>declared and has a special meaning...
>Are you sure that the user cannot assign an
>arbitrary value to clock in the .pov code?!

POV treats it as a scalar function with no arguments.  I get an
error when I try to assign to it.

>As for submitting the patched sources:
>If the above argumentation is reasonable enough for
>including the proposed changes into the superpatch,
>I'll do that (otherwise not).

I'll include just about anything in the superpatch, as long as it
doesn't conflict with something else that's either already included
or otherwise available, in which case I'll have to decide which one
to include so as not to make a total mess.

>Would patched POV-Ray 3.02 sources be OK for POV-Team?
>If not, then which ones?

I don't speak for the POV-Team, so I can't say for sure, but I'd
guess patched 3.1 sources would be far more useful.  There were
some fairly large changes between the two (Believe me - I had to
merge the 3.1 sources into the superpatch as "just another patch
to 3.02."  It took several hours.)