POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Nathan Kopp
Date: 16 Sep 1999 23:26:47
Message: <37e1b4f7@news.povray.org>
But skipping the parsing step would also remove the need for all of this
memory shuffling.  Once you've got a scene parsed and allocated in memory,
it would be nice to render scenes of an animation by simply changing what's
already in memory instead of destroying it all and rebuilding it for each
frame.

And, while it wouldn't make much difference for scenes with lots of glass or
media, it could be a noticable speed improvement for other scenes, such as
ones with lots of triangles or ones built using extreme recursion (which POV
is slow at parsing).

And, granted, all those light buffers, vista buffers, and the like would
have to be re-computed each time, but I still think it is something that
would benefit POV.

-Nathan

Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote