POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Any way to avoid repeated parsing? : Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing? Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:26:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to avoid repeated parsing?
From: Ron Parker
Date: 16 Sep 1999 15:50:22
Message: <37e149fe@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:36:02 -0500, John VanZwieten wrote:

>Ron Parker <par### [at] fwicom> wrote in message news:37e14498@news.povray.org...
>> On Thu, 16 Sep 1999 14:23:55 -0500, Bob Hughes wrote:
>> >I'm not totally inner workings savy, but yes, from what I understand
>> >the visible scene is calculated so the other stuff can be dropped out.
>> >That makes for a change in parse I believe even when just viewpoint
>> >changes.
>>
>> Nope.  But vista buffers are view-angle dependent.  Still, there's not
>> currently any way to save the results of the parse.  My understanding
>> is that it wouldn't save as much time as it might seem anyway.
>
>Why not?  Parsing on a scene I'm working with takes >1.5 hours.

The reason that was given the last time this came up was that profiling
shows that most of the time parsing is actually spent allocating and
shuffling memory around.  Of course this isn't true for all scenes, but
that's what "they" said.

Now that I have access to a copy of vTune for Windows, maybe I'll find
a big scene to parse and see for myself.